May 27th: Memorial Day- no school for staff or students
May 29th-30th: EOGs for 3rd and 4th grade students
May 30th: Parent Night for Rising Kindergartners, 6:00 PM
June 3rd: 4th Grade Trip to the Coast
June 4th: Field Day--Kindergarten
June 4th: Horton Middle School Parent Night for rising 5th graders, 5:30 - 6:30 PM at Horton's Multipurpose Room
June 5th: Field Day--Grades 1 and 2
June 6th: Field Day--Grades 3 and 4
June 7th: 4th Grade Awards Ceremony
Horton Middle School will be having a Rising 5th Grade Parent Night on Tuesday June 4th from 5:30-6:30 in the multipurpose room at Horton. Please mark you calendars for this event to learn all about Horton Middle School. GO WILDCATS!
For this reason, the North Carolina Department of Instruction has launched the Give Five- Read Five campaign. During the month of May, parents, business leaders, and community members are being asked to consider donating five new or gently used books to their local elementary school. There will be boxes in the hallways at PES for this collection.
Thank you for helping in continuing reading success for our students over the summer!
Please bring the following items with you to register your child.
- Your child’s birth certificate
- Immunization records
- 2 verifications of residency (with parent/custodian name and address)
- Driver’s License or Picture ID
- Other examples: rental agreement, utility bill, phone bill (cannot be cellular phone bill)
- Custody papers, if applicable
- Phone numbers of emergency contacts and doctor’s information
Plan to schedule a screening appointment for your child and a tour of the school for yourself upon turning in the registration packet. Kindergarten screening/tour dates will be held May 14-16.
If you have any questions, please call the school at 542-3987 and ask for Kathy Meetze (pronounced "mets").
Having trouble getting to school on time? Try these tips:
• Sometimes unexpected things can come up and set your child back a few minutes. Plan to get to school by 7:45am so that if something comes up your child may still be able to make it to school by 8:00am.
• Make sure your student gets enough sleep. If getting out of bed in the morning is a problem, make a serious effort to get to bed earlier.
• Prepare for school the night before- pack lunches, sign homework papers, pack bookbags, and lay out clothes.